September 25, 2009

Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate

My baby sister turned 18 last Saturday! I can hardly believe it. She’s legally an adult! What happened to that cute little cherub of a baby?

(Whine, whine, whine…I should move on.)

So, for her birthday I asked what kind of cake she wanted. Her reply was, “Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse filling and chocolate ganache. Oh, and some raspberries in the mousse.” I was so proud (She takes after me, the chocoholic!). But she gave no specifics on decor. I asked, and asked what she wanted it to look like, but I got nothin’. Oddly enough, she did request a certain cake plate. So I decided to let that inspire the decor for the cake. 

For the cake, I used a basic chocolate cake recipe, but ended up cutting out some sugar when I added it to the egg whites, because the batter was SOOOO sweet already. The cake was really tasty, so don’t be afraid to tweak things a bit. The chocolate mousse filling is the best part. Its not really mousse, but whipped cream with melted chocolate added to it. I found the recipe once from Tyler Florence (I think), and it was so simple in comparison to all the others, I went with it instead. In my adapted version, I used:

1 pint whipped cream

1/2 bag semisweet chocolate chips

1 tsp vanilla

Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over boiling water, not letting the water touch the bowl.  Add vanilla, and let cool. Meanwhile, whip cream until it is rather stiff, but not butter!  Add 1/4 of cream to chocolate, and mix to lighten up. Then fold it into the rest of cream. When I filled each of the layers, I topped thechelseas birthday cake 002 mousse with some fresh raspberries. That’s it! So delicious! 

I decided to whip the ganache, so that i could coat the cake well when frosting it. It worked great, and I loved the finish.

For decor, I used small edible beads in pink, yellow and blue to match the cake plate. I also made a fondachelseas birthday cake 008nt bow, which took a ridiculously long time for some odd reason. I added the bow, as it is the best feature on the cake plate. I mean, really, look how cute it is! 

The cake was a success, and I am still with the whole baby sister all grown up thing. Clearly, I have issues with birthdays, and numbers, and all that change stuff!

 

Happy Birthday Sister! Love you so very much! 

 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh WOW does this look amazing! And I can only imagine how it TASTED!! :)

Dianne said...

How about a gluten-free version on December 12? Wink!

Good thing I just had some hot fudge or I'd have to go raid the pantry for some chocolate.

XOXO

Anonymous said...

sister!! i loved my cake it was so so so so so so (i think i have done it with the so's) good! so 19th birthday, or going away bash (maybe if i convince mom!!!) i want chocolate cake, with chocolate ganache, with chocolate raspberry muse filling, with zebra decor! i think it would look amazing!! anyways love you!!! big kiss mu-ah!!!