January 18, 2010

Happy Birthday Mom!

My mama had birthday. She is 29 again, and looking fabulous! I decided I wanted to make her a special cake for her birthday. She has a favorite truffle from See’s Candies. Key Lime. Its delicious. Key Lime buttercream coated in white chocolate. Sounds kinda cakey. So I thought I would make a cake that had some of the same flavors.

I made a simple white cake. I should have added a bit of lime zest, but I didn’t want to overpower with lime. The cake was filled with a lime curd. Oh my goodness! Lime curd is fabulous. Don’t buy it. Make it! I used Alton’s recipe again, but changed a couple things. Here is the recipe:

5 egg yolks

1 cup sugar

4-5 limes, zested and juiced (It’s about 1/3 cup juice, its ok if its not enough, and wont hurt it if there is too much. Don’t add extra water…bleh!)

1 stick butter, cut into 8 pats

In a small saucepan, boil a small amount of water. In a metal bowl (that will fit over the saucepan without the water touching the bottom), whisk egg yolks and sugar. Add lime juice and zest and mix well. Place over boiling water, and reduce heat to low. Stir until yolk mixture has thickened. It takes longer than you think, about 10-12 minutes. It need to get thick, especially for a cake filling. I didn’t cook it long enough, and had to start over. Once it has thickened, remove from heat and add the butter, one pat at a time. Stir each pat until its melted and then add another. Cover and refrigerate your curd for up to a week.

To cover the cake I made a white chocolate ganache with 1 cup cream and 1 1/2 cups white chocolate, just to thicken it a bit. I didn’t frost the cake, but rather let the ganache fall over the top. Photographically, it was not the prettiest. But it tasted really, really good. Next time, more ganache to cover the cake well.

 

Santa Cruz, Leslie's Cake 222

Happy Birthday Mom! Love you!

5 comments:

Amanda P said...

That is beautiful. You = my hero.

Jessica Lin said...

looks amazing Lindsay!!!!! your mom said it was so so Yummy!!!

Dianne said...

First of all, I'm crazy about the fact that it looks like a truffle. And second of all, I'm SO buying limes by the bushel because lime curd sounds fantastic. And third of all, my life sort of sucks.

Sometimes gluten is a beautiful thing!

Lauri said...

Sounds so yummy!

Unknown said...

Who is the luckiest mom in the world???? Me! Thanks so much for the delicious cake and for making me the mom that I am! Love you!