October 21, 2009

I made a cake!

For some reason, its 3:00 in the morning, and I am up. Don’t ask why. I don’t know. Crazy dreams. Stuffy head. Thinking of a million things all at once. Alas, I thought I might make my visit with insomnia a bit productive and share my exciting news…

I made a cake! A big cake! For my boss! For their business’s 20th Anniversary!

I got a call on Thursday around 5:00, to make the cake for Saturday, which was a bit of a challenge. But I am always up for a challenge. We chatted briefly about size, flavor, design, and came up with the idea to make what I thought would be best! Ha!

I scrambled to the bank at 5:15 to get cash for the cake supply store that closes at 5:30, making it with oh, 5 minutes to spare. I grabbed a cake pan (hooray), some fondant, and ran to the grocery store to pick up caking ingredients. And then I ran to another store, and another store! Dang it for everything not being accessible at one store. I even when back to the store after one round of baking, because I ran out of ingredients. I should have planned better, but who needs to plan? I was baking a cake! For my boss!

On Friday, I frosted the cake and covered it in homemade marshmallow fondant (see CakeJournal for an awesome tutorial). I brushed the cake with a silver glitter (it looks a little dirty in the pics), and then began the painstaking labor of cutting individual letters for the studio logo. Oh, but it was so fun!

With the help of my husband, we assembled the letters for the logo. Then, I piped the letters with fondant icing writer that I HATE and will NEVER use again! It clumped up (the official term) about every five seconds!  But alas, I managed to make it look semi-acceptable.

And the final product:

IMG_4350 IMG_4395IMG_4371

Congratulations Studio 10! I hope there are 20 more years ahead!

4 comments:

Amanda P said...

You are amazing. Goddess is right!

Dianne said...

So, I went to the Studio 10 site and the logo turned out perfectly!

You made a CAKE!!

Note: 3:30 a.m.? I think that YOU will be the one needing a Trytophan nap sometime soon.

Congrats.

Lisa said...

I almost said something stupid, "That looks professional!" Of course it does! You ARE a professional! Sorry, sometimes I forget. :) Seriously, amazing.

Unknown said...

Lindsay Thank you so much for enhancing our special day! 20 years is quite the accomplishment...but I can't bake to save my life! so glad we have you on our team!

Much love and success in your Goody Goddess endeavors!

Lisa & Keith Banks
Studio 10 Dance