October 8, 2009

Tasty Traditions

This past weekend, we were able to listen to our Church’s Semi-Annual General Conference. For two days, we get to be spiritually fed and uplifted as we hear from our wonderful leaders.

These weekends were some of my favorite while I was in college. I was usually invited to watch the meetings with friends and their families. I was able to share some of their “Conference Traditions” and be a part of a family when I was far away from my own. Aside from sporadic note taking, accidental naps, and conference bingo, the top tradition was always partaking in a delicious breakfast of some sort!

Now that I have my own little family, consisting of me and Matthew for now, I wanted to start a little tradition myself. I have fond memories of making cinnamon rolls with my grandma, and not so fond memories of the disasters as I tried to replicate them (usually flat, hard, salty, nasty bread!) But they are a special, yummy treat that I have determined to be our own Conference breakfast.

I have always attempted to replicate Grandma’s bread recipe, but its never quite as good. So I decided to look up a few refrigerator roll recipes (so that I could let the dough rest overnight, and sleep in a bit) and combined a few to cinnamon rolls 012make my own.  After letting the dough rest overnight, I rolled it out to about 1/4 inch thick, and generously buttered the top, all the way to the edges. I wanted to make these rolls a bit more rich with cinnamon than normal, so I used 5 tablespoons of sugar  and 2 tablespoons of cinnamon to cover the buttered dough.  After rolling the dough, I used waxed dental floss (unused,cinnamon rolls 028 of course!) to cut the dough to about 1 1/2 inch rolls. The dental floss doesn’t press as firmly as a knife and makes a cleaner cut. 

I let the rolls rest for about an hour, and baked them for 20 minutes or so.  I let them cool a bit and then topped them with a buttery powdered sugar glaze. They were soooo good! I just wish everyone could have come and had some! But instead, I stuffed my face, and added a few extra rolls to my sides!

Here is some cinnamony delight that won’t add any extra rolls to your tummies…lucky!

cinnamon rolls 042

cinnamon rolls 055

Cinnamon-Rolls-Framed

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks so yummy! I wish I had your touch at baking! I have a baby shower saturday and I am in charge of the desert table! I have 3 GIANT cupcake shaped cakes to decorate and dozens of cookies to bake in the morning! If you were closer I would so love to do it all with you! :0)

Lisa said...

YUM! They look fantastic and the pictures captured them beautifully. We're excited for Saturday!

Dianne said...

Cinnamon rolls have a special place in my heart, too. My Mom made amazing cinnamon rolls and always "just happened" to be taking a batch out of the oven when Doug visited. No one really knows her secret, although some claim it was the arthritis that made her knead it perfectly.

Let's get together next conference!

XOXO

Dianne said...

P.S. Tell your photographer that he rocks!