October 27, 2009

Sometimes you feel like a nut…

I decided I wanted make something special for my mom. She is a great gal and always deserves something sweet. Its odd that the title for this post is “sometimes you feel like a nut”, and I am making something for my mom. She is a little nutty, and I always laugh the hardest when I am with her. For a while now I have thought about making some Almond Joy cupcakes for her, as one of her favorite candy bars is the Almond Joy.

We made a plan to meet last Wednesday, and I was going to present her with her treat.  I baked the cupcakes, and shortly after got the sad call that she was sick. No more meeting, and still all of those cupcakes. I decided to finish them off, as a practice run. The Momma deserves the best anyway!

I used Martha Stewart’s Cupcakes recipe for coconut cupcakes, exchanging almond extract for the vanilla. martha I wanted to give a nice almond flavor. I also used a cream of coconut, since I had it on hand, and lessened the sugar.

For the frosting, I used Martha’s dark chocolate frosting, but added cream of coconut, and some extra powdered sugar to thicken it up a bit. I have to say, it was delicious. I love frosting.

I toasted some coconut and topped the cupcakes with some sliced almonds. They were really cute, and tasted pretty good too. I think next time I will do half coconut extract and half almond extract in the cupcakes, just because I LOVE coconut.

Oakdale, Pumpkins, Cupcakes 180  Oakdale, Pumpkins, Cupcakes 177

Oakdale, Pumpkins, Cupcakes 175  

Next post, I will try to remember to include pictures along the way. I always forget that part!

1 comments:

Dianne said...

Oh my gosh. Are you kidding me? Those are beautiful. And I LOVE almond joy, too.

Blast the gluten!

Yes, blast!

You may make a coconut-lover out of Matt yet. (He's already got the 'nut' part down).

XOXO Dianne